Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What is this stuff?

Today I went into the knitting stash to parse out what materials I could use to make some prototype baby pants. Fondling yarn is fun, except when it is in your own house and you start worrying about how much you paid for it. 

In doing this safari under my bed, I realized that I have a great deal of sock and other fingering weight fiber (straight Merino, some super-wash, some fabulous faux somethings). I found orange, wine, pinks, mauve, variegated purple, and deep green. All can be pants, or dresses, and go to a nicer home than in a tupperware under my bed. Maybe that is the real purpose of sumoroKnits: to liberate well-deserving fiber by bringing it to its new life.

Like a sculptress I am, removing all the bits of stone that don't look like the smitten kitten. Maybe a better way of thinking about knitting useful items is magically (in the eyes of my non-knitters) turning a ball of string into a sock.

1 comment:

  1. you already liberated that fiber by bringing it into a loving home... it just hasn't found it's pattern destiny yet... until then it is happy snuggling with the other fibers...

    ReplyDelete