Monday, June 14, 2010

A stitch a day keeps the doctor away.

Needlework keeps me out of trouble. Needlework keeps me out of trouble. Needlework keeps me out of trouble. 


In some ways, absolutely. 


In others, not at all. Needlework in general and knitting specifically is full of transitions and thousands of little events, hand flicks, that come together to form a piece of "slow cloth" (sumoroKnits, 6.9.10). While this could be viewed as one of the best ways of practicing how to deal with change, it is certainly not turning out that way for me (at least not right now). 


Let me back up. In the summer of 2009, hugely pregnant and knitting away on modified bedrest, I completed--in short order--three articles of clothing for little girls. First was a pink shrug jacket I completed in less than 96 hours as a thank you gift, which was followed by a dress and jacket for my soon-to-be infant daughter. I listened to a great deal of National Public Radio and practiced my speed-knitting. I felt like a super-domestic lady. During the same time, I read several books about becoming and being an At-Home Mom. Most talked about how many moms, after the preschool years, become involved in at-home businesses or community volunteering, kid's school functions, or PTA committees. Yeah, yeah. It sounded good at the time, waiting for "mother's hours" for community involvement. 


My reality has turned out somewhat differently as I opted to start the community involvement and taking courses for personal/professional advance when my daughter was just born. I am now finding myself in another category of at-home parent: the person hoping to be staring in their own 'cottage industry' play. 


Cottage industries, as defined by investorwords.com, are those "where the creation of products and services is home-based, rather than factory-based. While products and services created by cottage industry are often unique and distinctive given the fact that they are usually not mass-produced, producers in this sector often face numerous disadvantages when trying to compete with much larger factory-based companies" (2010). My idea to start a line of knit children's clothes is definitely a cottage industry plan. The point is not to take over the world, or even the market, it is to develop personal (not personalized) clothing soaked in love (figuratively, of course) for more than just my own kids. 


If you couldn't tell, I am an idea lady. My brain keeps me sane, at the same time as it keeps me dangerously close to combustion, and just having ideas and implementing them is my drug of choice. I am now committing myself to MORE STITCHIN' AND LESS BITCHIN'. It is cheaper than a psychiatrist and much more empowering. 

1 comment:

  1. mmm more stitchin' less bitchin... If only i could find the time to stitch more...

    ReplyDelete