Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Make nice.


I spent some of this afternoon watching "Climate and Sustainability: Moving By Degrees." I'd like to comment; politics aside, I swear. I feel sometimes as if I must be a time traveler: I am watching a live streaming videocast at the same time as I support handcrafts. What gives?


Sustainable consumption. Sustainable consumption is a fancy academic term for a discussion of the what the economy would look like if our focus were not on economic prosperity, but on ecological prosperity. It focuses on what our communities might look like if our focus was not being hyper-rich (in carbon or $$), but on cooperative economics.


It says: Let's look to happy, sustainably so, ways of living. What does knitting have to do with it?


Philosophically, knitting is "slow cloth", a crafters version of slow food. Slow food is defined by Slow Food USA as "an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment." Sound familiar? 


Knit-maste. 

1 comment: