Monday, June 7, 2010

I should be knitting. Right now.

Wanderlust is the best way to describe it.
I have found recently that raising children is as much about self-analysis as it is about satisfying my desire for structure in an ALMOST completely unstructured world. The structure of the knitting pattern, even if I choose to fuddle with it, is incredibly calming.
It has a beginning. It has a suggested needle size and gauge. As I explained to my son, "I am changing that ball into a sock. Aren't I magical?" He agrees. The pattern has stages and just before I get completely frustrated with it, it has an end and chance to tie up and weave in loose ends.

In terms of the pattern: I am either (a) before, (b) during, or (c) after. There are often thousands of events (stitches, yarn overs, needle changes) between (A) and (C); however, no one can begrudge my speed, path, or intellectual capacity. Progress is progress.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment